Sunday, September 26, 2010

The West Wing




One of my husband’s colleagues works at the White House, and recently she arranged for Rob, Tom and me to have a tour of the West Wing. It was amazing to be able to stand in the doorway of the Oval Office, walk in the Rose Garden, and see President Teddy Roosevelt’s Nobel Prize displayed on the wall of the Roosevelt Room. In the hallways there is a rotating display of large and beautiful photos of our government officials in diplomatic scenes, and also personal ones like the President hugging his daughters with Bo at their feet.

Tours are given in the evening and it was very warm. So although the chairs in the Cabinet meeting room, which feature plaques with each members’ name and years of service, were interesting, it was also very nice to lean way in over the velvet barriers to better feel the air conditioning in there.

And before you ask, it all looks a little like the sets for the Aaron Sorkin series (which I love) but not exactly. Despite how impressive everything is, it all seems more governmenty and smaller than it looks in the show. The entrance foyer is very nice but less open. The Situation Room is not underground (or at least you don’t have to go underground to peek in). They do not play the theme song when you walk in, though I hummed it under my breath. I did not meet Josh Lyman nor his real life counterpart.

There was a brief moment of excitement when we reached the Oval Office. All of a sudden the guard said, “I need you all to move back,” and hustled us two rooms away. We could still see him, though—he unlocked a door next to the Oval and disappeared inside. Just seconds later he returned and motioned us back. What had happened, we wondered? Had he spotted a personal item on the President’s Resolute Desk, or had a confidential sticky note fallen onto the new carpet emblazened with the Presidential Seal? We’ll never know.

Understandably, little photo-taking is allowed. You can take shots in the press room, but only in front of the podium. Since what everyone really wants to do is stand BEHIND the podium and pretend to call on a representative of the media, it’s a little anticlimactic.

But here’s what was exciting: someone had left a cd on the ledge in the press room. It was unlabeled, but so intriguing. It could been left behind by anyone, could have contained anything. State secrets, photos not for publication, information collected in an undercover sting operation. It vibrated with possibilities.

Oh, how I wanted that cd! There were lots of people around, but no one was looking…. my hand crept towards the ledge…..

But then I paused. What if the person who left it came back and it was gone? And what if the cd had information vital to the security of our country, and I took it with me, and some sinister dudes came after it? I watched 24 for a few seasons, so I know what can happen to innocent bystanders who stumble into the midst of nefarious plots (not to mention people who take what does not belong to them).

It was probably a blank cd. But I’m glad I left it alone. It might mean Big Trouble. And I’m just way too busy.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! What a great field trip for you and the guys. I can't imagine you taking the cd although I can imagine you thinking of taking it.
    Think of all the decisions that are made there...should Monica....then there was the bay of pigs....then if George should make another attempt to give a speech...all these things talked about and decided upon.
    Did you like the new decor? Is the rug cool?
    Looked like it on TV.
    Glad you got to go. Next time call I will come along.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! It really is a amazing experience and I would go back with you any time--keep you posted :-)

    ReplyDelete