Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Verifying Me

So I just posted a comment on a friend's luscious blog entry (www.ofsofterearth.blogspot.com), and as always I had to type in a nonsense word before my comment would be posted. I have two things to say about that:

First, my word today was "calserne." I like the sound of this word and have spent more time than you would think wondering what a calserne might be. Any ideas?

Second, because the sites always show the code word in some sort of scriggly typeface, the "r" and the "n" were hard to distinguish from one another. I had to guess what the letters were before entering the word. I got it right but, Google verification people, "calserne" is not the ideal choice for this sort of thing.

And third (oops, that's three things) why do we have to do this anyway? If anyone were using my account to post a counterfeit comment, presumably that person could type in "calserne" as well as I could.

Now I'm sure there are many highly technical and cool people out there who can tell me what the purpose of these goofy words is. Because the word "calserne" is so diverting, I didn't mind typing it. But can someone explain to me what's up with this?

4 comments:

  1. My nonsense word today was "esomert"... makes me wonder what it would mean if it were a real word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great one--maybe we can figure out how to use it in a sentence with calserne???

    XOs

    ReplyDelete
  3. A calserne sounds like some delicous French dessert... and an esomert? Perhaps one who frequently eats calsernes or some little elf like marsupial of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And my word was "tomish." Maybe my previous post was like something Tom would say. :)

    ReplyDelete